Real Time Implementation of an Improved Hybrid Fuzzy Sliding Mode Observer Estimator
Volume 2, Issue 1, Page No 214-226, 2017
Author’s Name: Sorin Mihai Radu1, Elena-Roxana Tudoroiu2, Wilhelm Kecs2, Nicolae Ilias1, Nicolae Tudoroiu3,a)
1Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Faculty, Mechanical Engineering, University of Petrosani, 332006, Romania
2Science Faculty, Mathematics and Informatics, University of Petrosani, 332006, Romania
3John Abbott College, 2127 Lakeshore Road, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC, H9X 3L9, Canada
This paper extends some of our research results disseminated in the most recent awarded international conference paper concerning the implementation in real time of a sliding mode observer state estimator. For the same case study developed in the conference paper, more precisely a DC servomotor angular speed control system, we extend the proposed concept of sliding mode observer state estimator to a fuzzy sliding mode observer version, more suitable in control applications field such as fault detection of the possible faults that might take place inside the actuators and sensors. The hybrid architecture implemented in a real time MATLAB/SIMULINK simulation environment consists of an integrated control loop structure with a switching bench of two sliding mode observers, one built by using a new approach that improves slightly the proposed sliding mode observer for the conference paper, and second one is an improved intelligent fuzzy version sliding mode observer estimator. The both estimators are implemented in SIMULINK to work independently by using a manual switch. The simulation results for the experimental setup show the effectiveness of the improved fuzzy version of sliding mode observer compared to the standard one, as well as its high accuracy and robustness.
Received: 18 December 2016, Accepted: 20 January 2017, Published Online: 28 January 2017
- R-E. Tudoroiu, W. Kecs, Dobritoiu, N. Ilias, S.V. Casavela, N. Tudoroiu, “Real-Time Implementation of DC Servomotor Actuator with Unknown Uncertainty using a Sliding Mode Observer” in Proceedings of the Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, Gdansk, Poland, DOI: 10.15439/2016F95, ACSIS, ISSN 2300-5963, Vol. 8, pp. 841–848, 2015.
- E. Tudoroiu, A. Astilean, T. Letia, N. Iliasi, N.Tudoroiu, D. Burdescu, “Wireless UML-RT Simulator for Modeling and Implementing Dynamics Hybrid Structure of a Real Time PI DC Motor Control System”, The Journal of Economics and Technologies Knowledge , 1(4), 69-81, 2015.
- E. Tudoroiu, A. Astilean, T. Letia, V. Cretu, N. Iliasi, N. Tudoroiu, ”UML-RT Simulator for Modeling and Implementing Hybrid Structure Dynamics of a Real Time PID DC Servomotor Position Control System Strategy”, The Journal of Economics and Technologies Knowledge , 1(5), 68-77, 2015.
- R-E Tudoroiu, “Conceiving and Implementing Applications using Real-Time UML”, PhD Thesis, Cluj-Napoca Technical University, Romania, 2012.
- M. Galvez, “A New Fault Detection and Isolation Algorithm Applied to Dc Motor Parameters Supervision”, ABCM Symposium Series in Mechatronics , 5, 196-204, 2012, http://www.abcm.org.br/symposium-series/SSM_Vol5/Section_II_Control_Systems/07492.pdf
- Tudoroiu, K. Khorasani, “Satellite Fault Diagnosis using a Bank of Interacting Kalman Filters”, Journal of IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, DOI: 10.1109/TAES.2007.4441743, 43(4), 1334-1350, 2007.
- Isermann, Fault-Diagnosis Applications, Model-Based Condition Monitoring: Actuators, Drives, Machinery, Plants, Sensors, and Fault Tolerant Systems, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-12767-0_3, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2011.
- Haykin, Adaptive Filter Theory, 3rd ed., Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ., 1996
- L. Plett, G.L., “Extended Kalman filtering for battery management systems of LiPB-based HEV battery packs Part Background, Journal of Power Sources, ELSEVIER, 134, 252–261, 2004.
- I. Abbas, F.B. Hawraa, “Fault detection and isolation based on hybrid sliding mode observer and fuzzy logic”, Kufa Journal of Engineering, Iraq, ISSN 2207-5528, 6(1), 93-102, 2014.
- Alkaya, I. Eker, “Luenberger observer-based sensor fault detection: online application to DC motor”, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, DOI: 10.3906/elk-1203-84, 22, 363-370, 2014.
- Chen, “Robust Fault Diagnosis and Compensation in Nonlinear Systems via Sliding Mode and Iterative Learning Observers”, PhD Thesis, Simon Frasier University, Canada, 2003.
- Loukil, M. Chtourou and T. Damak, “Synthesis of Nonlinear Observers for Actuator Fault Detection and Isolation”, International Journal of Computer Applications, 43(4), 27-32, 2012.
- K. Spurgeon, “Sliding Mode Observers – historical background and basic introduction”, Spring School, Aussois, 2015.
- K. Spurgeon, “Sliding Mode Observers – toward a constructive design framework”, Spring School, Aussois, 2015.
- G. Yan, C. Eduards, “Nonlinear robust fault reconstruction and estimation using a sliding mode observer”, Elsevier, ScienceDirect, Automatica, DOI:10.1016/j.automatica.2007.02.008, 43, 1605 – 1614, 2007.
- Castillo-Toledo, S. Di Gennaro, J. Anzurez-Marin, “On the fault diagnosis problem for non–linear systems: A fuzzy sliding–mode observer approach”, Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, 20, DOI: 10.3233/IFS-2009-0427, IOS Press, 187–199, 2009.
- Keighobadi, P. Doostdar “Fuzzy Sliding Mode Observer for Vehicular Attitude Heading Reference System”, Journal of Scientific Research, Iran, DOI: 10.4236/pos.2013.43022, 4, 215-226, 2013, http://www.scirp.org/journal/pos
- Fuzzy Logic Tutorial, available online on the web site: http://www.massey.ac.nz/~nhreyes/MASSEY/159741/Lectures/Lec2012-3-159741-FuzzyLogic-v.2.pdf
- Control Tutorials for MATLAB, Carnegie Mellon Lab, University of Michigan, http://ctms.engin.umich.edu.