Design and Fabrication of a Dielectrophoretic Cell Trap Array
Volume 2, Issue 1, Page No 84-89, 2017
Author’s Name: Logeeshan Velmanickam, Dharmakeerthi Nawarathnaa)
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND, 58102-6050
We present a design and fabrication of an integrated micro-fabricated dielectrophoretic (DEP) cell trap array in a microfluidic channel. The cell trap array is capable of isolating target cells in high-throughput manner and producing cell clusters of tunable cell numbers. In this work, we have used commercially available polystyrene beads to show the concept. Bead clusters of various sizes were successfully produced using DEP force (attractive or repulsive). We have found that the number of beads in a cluster depends on the frequency of electric field and the concentration of beads in the mixture.
Received: 01 December 2016, Accepted: 08 January 2017, Published Online: 28 January 2017
- Velmanickam, and K.Nawarathna, “Dielectrophoretic cell isolation in microfluidics channels for high-throughput biomedical applications”, in IEEE International Conference on Electro Information Technology (EIT), Grand folks, ND, USA, 2016.
- L.Doh and Y-H Cho, “ A continuous cell separation chip using hydrodynamic dielectrophoresis (DEP) process”, Sensors and Actuators A 121,2005.
- Gross, J. Schoendube, S. Zimmermann, M. Steeb, R. Zengerle, and P. Koltay, “Technologies for Single-Cell Isolation.” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 16,16897-16919, 2015.
- A. Bonner, H.R Hulett, R.G Sweet and L.A Herzenberg, “Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorting”, the review of scientific instruments, vol. 43,404-409, 1972
- Miltenyi, W. Muller, W. Weichel, and A. Radbruch, “ High Gradient Magnetic Cell Separation With MACS”, Cytometry, vol.11, 231-238, 1990.
- Fend, and M. Raffeld, “Laser capture microdissection in pathology”, Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol.53, 666-672, 2000.
- Pethig, “Dielectrophoresis: Status of the theory, technology and applications”, Bio microfluidics, vol.4, 022811, 2010.
- R.C.Gascoyne, X. B Wang, Y. Huang and F. F.Becker, “Dielectrophoresis Separation of Cancer Cells from Blood”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications, vol. 33, 670-678, 1997.
- Nakano and A. Ros, “Protein Dielectrophoresis: Advances, Challenges and Applications”, Electrophoresis, vol. 34, 1085-1096, 2013.
- Demierre, T. Braschler, R. Muller, P. Renaus, “Focusing and continuous separation of cells in a microfluidic device using lateral dielectrophoresis”, Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 132, 388-396, 2008.
- Ermolina and H. Morgan. “The electrokinetic properties of latex particles: Comparison of electrophoresis and dielectrophoresis”, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 285, 419-428, 2005.
- Zheng, J. P.Brody, P. J.Burke, “Electronic manipulation of DNA, proteins, and nanoparticles for potential circuit assembly”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol.20, 606-619, 2004.
- Huang, S. Joo, M. Duhon, M. Heller, B. Wallace, and X. Xu, “Dielectrophoretic Cell Separation and Gene Expression Profiling on Microelectronic Chip Arrays”, Analytical Chemistry, vol.74, 3362-3371, 2002.
- R. Gagnon, “Cellular dielectrophoresis: Applications to the characterization, manipulation, separation and patterning of cells”, Electrophoresis, vol. 32, 2466-2487, 2011.
- Lu, M. A. Schmidt, & K. F. Jensen “A microfluidic electroporation device for cell lysis” Lab on a Chip, vol. 5, 23-29, 2004.
- H. Kim, Y. Ciu, M. J. Lee, S-W. Nam, D. Oh, S. H. Kang, Y. S. Kim, and S. Park, “ Simple fabrication of hydrophilic nano-channels using the chemical bonding between activated ultrathin PDMS layer and cover glass by oxygen plasma”, Lab Chip, vol.11, 348-353, 2011.
- Bhattacharya, A. Datta, J. M.Berg, and S. Gangopadhyay, “ Studies on Surface Wettability of Poly(Dimethyl) Siloxane (PDMS) and Glass Under Oxygen-Plasma Treatment and Correlation With Bond Strength”, Journal Of Micromechanical System, vol.14, 590-597, 2005.
- Nawarathna, T. Turan, and H. Kumar Wickramasinghe, “Selective probing of mRNA expression levels within a living cell”, Applied Physics Letters, vol.95, 083117, 2009.
- Hao Zhou, Matthew A. Preston, Robert D. Tilton, Lee R. White, “Calculation of the electric polarizability of a charged spherical dielectric particle by the theory of colloidal electrokinetics”, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 285, 845-856, 2005.
- Ronald Pethig, “Review Article—Dielectrophoresis: Status of the theory,technology, and applications”, BioMicrofluidics, vol.4, 022811, 2010.
- Rosenthal, A. Macdonald and J.Voldman, “ Cell patterning chip for controlling the stem cell Microenvironment”, Biomaterials, vol.28, 3208-3216, 2007.
- S. Kane, S.Takayama, E. Ostuni, D.E. Ingber, and G.M Whitesides, “ Patterning proteins and cells using soft lithography”, Biomaterials, vol.20, 2363-2376, 1999.
- J.Beebe, G.A.Mensing, and G.M.Walker, “Physics and applications of microfluidics in biology”, Annu.Rev.Biomed.Eng, vol.4, 261-286, 2002.
- L.Paguirigan, and David J.Beebe, “Microfluidics meet cell biology, bridging the gap by validation and application of microscale techniques for cell biological assays”, BioEssays, vol.30.9, 811-821, 2008.
- B.Weibel and G.M.Whitesides, “Applications of microfluidics in chemical biology”, Science Direct, vol.10, 584-591, 2006.
- Jayasooriya and D.Nawarathna, “ Design of Micro-interdigitated Electrodes and Detailed Impedance Data Analysis for Label-free Biomarker Quantification” Electroanalysis, vol 28, DOI: 10.1002/elan.201600364, 2016
- Xiong, Liangcai, Peng Chen, and Quansheng Zhou. “Adhesion promotion between PDMS and glass by oxygen plasma pre-treatment. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol.28, 1046-1054, 2014.
- Jacques Magnaudet and Dominique Legendre, “ The viscous drag force on a spherical bubble with a time-dependent radius”, Physics of fluid, Vol.10, 550-554, 1998.